21 Adopt pet-friendly policies
Evidence Based Strategies
- Adopt policies to support pet ownership, for example, permitting pets in residential buildings or allowing pets in offices.
- Provide infrastructure to support dog owners, for example, by providing dog parks and water stations.
Best Practice Strategies
- Allow for all types of pets—but screen the candidates. Rather than restricting dogs by breed or weight limit, establish a system to evaluate pets.
- Make the rules clear by including a pet policy in the lease that outlines the requirements and expectations for pet owners. Charge a refundable pet deposit (depending upon laws in your area).
- Undertake efforts to minimize exposure to pet allergens. Use air filters and purifiers, and avoid carpeting and fabric-upholstered furniture.